db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.8.2.2 release
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:01:55 GMT
-0

I am tempted to vote -1 based on DERBY-5430. The 10.8.2 release
candidates produce a deadlock in NsTest. That deadlock was not seen in
10.8.1 or earlier releases.

However, I do not have any confidence in NsTest as a release barrier.
This test suffers from a number of defects which severely cripple its
usefulness:

1) No-one seems to understand this test.

2) The test is not being run in its preferred configuration. The "Ns" in
NsTest means "Network Server" I think, but as far as I can see the test
is only being run embedded.

3) The test produces reams of errors. I don't think we know how to
strain signal out of this noise. The sheer volume of errors suggests
that the test is badly written and that it does not model a sensible
workload.

4) The person who runs this test (Myrna) has lost confidence in its
ability to disclose regressions, as evidenced by the downgrading of the
urgency of DERBY-5430.

I do not think that we should use NsTest as a release barrier again
until we address its defects.

Thanks,
-Rick