db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.8.2 testing: recovery after crashing engine
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:37:22 GMT
On 10/19/2011 10:35 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Rick Hillegas
> <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> "Recovery after crashing engine" is one of the checklist items for 10.8.2
>> vetting: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenEightTwoChecklist. What is this
>> test? Is someone planning to run this test?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> I was wondering this too.
>
> I think a long time ago Suresh or Manjula did some manual testing? But
> I looked (searched in JIRA, and in mail archives) and couldn't find
> any proof of what exactly they did.
> But we have some crash/recovery tests in the functional tests, so I
> think this is intrinsically met now, so I updated the wiki with a
> checkmark.
> If anyone has another suggestion, please speak up.
I seem to recall from many years ago that this had something to do with
pulling the plug to simulate a real crash on a machine during heavy
activity and then making sure recovery and check tables  worked ok.

I seem to remember another adhoc test where I put a database on a CD and
tested that the read only database behaved.

I  tried to find that ancient  list of adhoc  tests, but haven't yet. My
memory on these matters may not be completely correct.

Kathey