db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.8.2 coming even closer
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:43:30 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hatlen@oracle.com> writes:

> Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5236 (Knut): On Sep 1,
>> Knut wrote "I'm not sure if a complete fix will be in place for 10.8.2
>> (or if the complete fix will be suitable for backport since it may
>> involve protocol changes), but I intend to backport as much as
>> possible of the code in this issue."
>>     current status: the following commits went into trunk: 1104365,
>> 1163131, 1164495, and a patch is ready for review. No backports to
>> 10.8 yet.
>>     I'm still hoping this will make it into 10.8, but won't wait the
>> release for it.
>
> I plan to commit the current patch tomorrow morning, if there are no
> objections. Then I'll add a little bit of code to make sure that the new
> server code doesn't break old clients (essentially disable the
> server-side fix when talking to an old client). If that doesn't cause
> any breakage in nightly tests over the weekend, I'll backport all the
> fixes to 10.8 on Monday morning just in time for the RC.

The logic that disables the fix when talking to older clients, needs to
check the version of the client. Since the server currently only
supports checking the first three digits of the version number, I've
coded it so that the fix will be enabled on 10.8.2 and newer. This means
I will have to bump the version number on the branch from 10.8.1.6 to
10.8.2.0 when I backport the fix, otherwise the regression tests for the
fix will have to be disabled on the 10.8 branch until the RC is
produced. Myrna, do you see any problem with my bumping the version
number on the branch to 10.8.2 before you create the RC?

Alternatively, it might be possible to make the server support checking
all four digits in the version number and just bump the last digit. But
given that the RC is scheduled shortly thereafter, it doesn't sound
worthwhile to add code just to allow the branch to stay at 10.8.1.x for
a couple hours extra.

--
Knut Anders