db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: making Derby secure by default
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:06:54 GMT

> On 9/13/2011 10:57 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> 2c) To ease the migration to 11.0, it might be possible to add a
>> single knob which lets an application opt-out of the 11.0 defaults
>> and instead run with the 10.x security defaults.
>>
> I think a single knob is a good idea but the default should be off to
> preserve backward compatibility and the zero admin aspects of the
> product at this time.   Warnings and education can be used to coax
> users to transition and then maybe after multiple releases with the
> knob the default could be changed and the major version changed if
> there is enough experience with the super knob to understand all the
> steps that have to be taken in addition to turning it on.

If so, there is no need for a version 11.0 IMHO, at least not before
such as time as we turn the default of the super knob.  The whole point
of moving to an 11 series is that it would allow for changed defaults at
the outset, as I see it (new major release should be a red flag). I am
not sure if it is entirely reasonable to expect a new release (11.0) to
work out-of-box for existing deployments.

Thanks,
Dag