db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Reka Thirunavukkarasu <rthirunavukkaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Compression for Query Processing
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:21:53 GMT
Hi Rick,
Thank you for your immediate reply.We are trying to achieve attribute
level compression
(in your words more compact storage of columns).Attribute level
compression is best
from the query processing point of view.Attributes fall in to three
major category Integer,
floating point and character string.We have to apply three different
compression techniques
for each data types.But for demonstration purpose we will apply
compression to only character
string attributes.We will test it in a database which has only
character string.This is our main goal.
Thank you.

--
Regards,