db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dist symlinks
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:24:04 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:07 AM, Kristian Waagan
<kristian.waagan@oracle.com> wrote:

> I'm ready to just delete them and see what happens.
>
> Haven't heard from Andrew though, he may have more information about why the
> synlinks were added originally.

It was common practice many years ago to symlink a static location to
the current source and binaries. Given especially [1] in your original
mail, it looks like symlinks are officially out, probably because not
all mirrors support real symlinks. I say definitely go ahead and
delete them. It would be simple to add/generate an .htaccess file for
that directory which redirects to the latest if that was still
desired.

cheers,
andrew