db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.8.2.0 release candidate generated...but...
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:25:37 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 9/12/11 9:56 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had to do some tweaking of/around the ant release build target
>> (about which I will worry tomorrow), but I did manage to get the RC1
>> for 10.8.2.0 on the public_html site.
>>
>> However, the automated process set the drdamaint number back to 0, and
>> I suspect that was wrong.
>
> The release properties are written by
> org.apache.derbyPreBuild.ReleaseProperties. Right now that program hardcodes
> drdamaint to be 0. Here are some ways we can change that program:
>
> 1) Hardcode drdamaint to be 1.
>
> 2) Make drdamaint a parameter to the program, like the Derby version id.
>
> 3) Make the program retrieve drdamaint from the existing release.properties
> file and write exactly what was read.
>
> The meaning of drdamaint is unclear to me and I don't understand why
> drdamaint is 0 on the trunk but is supposed to be 1 on the 10.8 branch.
>
> What are your thoughts about the meaning of drdamaint and how this program
> should behave?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>

>>  So, before calling the test and vote I'd
>> like to make sure the fix for DERBY-5236 is still working correctly.
>> Otherwise I will need to spin a RC2 after looking at the release
>> target to prevent it from resetting that number.
>>
>> I'm running tests, but I didn't see any specific test included in the
>> backport, so, Knut, can you check the release works properly with
>> regard to your fix?
>>
>> It can be downloaded from:
>> http://people.apache.org/~myrnavl/derby-10.8.2.0-RC1/
>>
>> Thx,
>> Myrna

I don't understand the details either or I would've fixed it right
away - I thought perhaps it worked in combination with the 3rd digit -
but apparently not. So perhaps the drdamaint version needs to be upped
on trunk also?

I would like it best if the release process could be automated enough
to get the old drdamaint version from the release.properties file. I
could do that now, we can just put it as an action under DERBY-5287,
but if you have some ideas on how to achieve it, that would help.

Myrna