db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.8.2.1 release
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:54:39 GMT
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Kathey Marsden
<kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/20/2011 9:27 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> Testing and analysis is still on-going... Myrna
>
> I am working on zseries, IPV6 and upgrade and compatibility testing, but
> have to admit I am running a bit behind. Hopefully I can make it for Monday,
> but could certainly use a few more days.
>
> I think the nstest issues DERBY-5421, DERBY-5422, DERBY-5423 need to be
> understood and perhaps fixed before we release.   I wonder if the first two
> are fallout from DERBY-5423.  The too much contention error worries me. It
> seems it would be quite common to have a lot of contention on an identity
> column.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

I agree on the need to understand the nstest errors.
I ran those tests with insane jars, and will need to do a setup with
more settings in derby.properties, and with sane jars to get more
info, but at least I can say that DERBY-5421 and DERBY-5422 are *not*
fall out of DERBY-5423:
- DERBY-5421 happens on both my systems (Linux/Client-Server, and
Windows/Embedded), but DERBY-5422 and DERBY-5423 happened only on
Windows/Embedded.
- DERBY-5422 happened only to Tester 1 Thread 1, and DERBY-5423
happened after Tester 1 Thread 1 had finished processing.
But these new failures worry me anyway.

I think it makes sense to extend the testing period - I'd like to
extend testing/voting period for RC1 (10.8.2.1 build 1170221) until
Monday, October 3.

I'll update the wiki; do I need to make any further special
announcement for this?

Myrna