db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: known error in tools/derbyrunjartest.java?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:32:24 GMT
"Dag H. Wanvik" <dag.wanvik@oracle.com> writes:

> Saw this today on trunk with JDK 1.7:
>
> *** Start: derbyrunjartest jdk1.6.0_15 2011-09-27 21:26:19 ***

And a rather old version of JDK 1.7 too... ;)

> -- SecurityManager not installed --
> 10 del
> <       'jdbc:derby:myDB', or jdbc:derby://xxxFILTERED_HOSTNAMExxx:1527/myDB;user=usr;'.
> 10a10
> >       ''jdbc:derby:myDB'', or ''jdbc:derby://xxxFILTERED_HOSTNAMExxx:1527/myDB;user=usr;''.

[...]

> Seems there is a surplus of hyphens.. Anybody else noticed this?

I have a theory, but it assumes this was seen in a *very* old
sandbox. Incremental builds of jar files (ant buildjars) doesn't remove
classes that should no longer be part of the jar file. The class
LocalizedResource was removed from derbyrun.jar a very, very long time
ago. However, the class itself didn't change until DERBY-4796 (fixed
about a year ago), and that change indeed had something to do with the
number of apostrophes in the messages.

So if you have a sandbox in which you have built jar files incrementally
since before LocalizedResource was removed from derbyrun.jar, the class
will still be in derbyrun.jar, but it won't be updated. If derbyrun.jar
comes before derby.jar in the classpath, this old version of
LocalizedResource will be used instead of the one with the DERBY-4796
changes, and you may see failures like the one above.

Doing an "ant buildjarsclean" to build fresh jar files should resolve
the problem if this is what's causing it.