db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [CANCELLED][VOTE] 10.8.2.1 release
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:21:22 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 9/29/11 6:22 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm now officially cancelling the vote for 10.8.2.1 as a release
>> candidate.
>> The reasons are the issues which I updated to blocker:
>> DERBY-5430
>> DERBY-5422
> Hi Myrna,
>
> I believe these are both consequences of increasing the concurrency of
> identity columns, that is, fallout from DERBY-4437. I am looking at
> DERBY-5430 now. I intend to look at DERBY-5422 now that you have
> demonstrated that it is not fixed by the patch for DERBY-5423.
>
> I don't think I will be able to wrap up both bugs next week since I will
> be busy at Java One. Here are some options to consider:
>
> 1) Back out the port of DERBY-4437 to 10.8 and continue debugging the
> issues on the trunk. I am not confident that this will fix DERBY-5422. I
> think that bug is triggered by the use of identity columns in NsTest and
> the bug appears because identities now use the same preallocation logic
> as sequences. It is likely that the bug is also triggered by the use of
> sequences, and without more investigation I can't say whether the bug is
> even new to 10.8.2.
Given the number of issues that have surfaced in this testing round
related to backport of identity enhancement I would lean toward backing
out the backport of 4437, cut a new release candidate and verify that
nstest no longer sees new issues.  I believe even without 4437 the
proposed release would be a marked improvement for apache 10.8 users.

Concurrently work on the issues in trunk.   And we can cut another 10.8
bug fix release down the line when we have had time to fix the issues
and run some long term stress testing to verify the identity behavior
which will affect many existing users.

 From my reading of the code I agree with rick that the remaining issues
are not specific to identity and also affect sequences.   So likely we
will want to backport fixes made to 10.8 for sequences.  It may be
interesting to either add sequences to nstest or fork a copy that
substitutes them to verify that the issue is not particular to identity.
It would be also valuable if we could produce some tests that reproduce
the issues much more reliably than nstest.