db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [CANCELLED][VOTE] 10.8.2.1 release
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:45:06 GMT
On 9/29/11 6:22 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm now officially cancelling the vote for 10.8.2.1 as a release candidate.
> The reasons are the issues which I updated to blocker:
> DERBY-5430
> DERBY-5422
Hi Myrna,

I believe these are both consequences of increasing the concurrency of
identity columns, that is, fallout from DERBY-4437. I am looking at
DERBY-5430 now. I intend to look at DERBY-5422 now that you have
demonstrated that it is not fixed by the patch for DERBY-5423.

I don't think I will be able to wrap up both bugs next week since I will
be busy at Java One. Here are some options to consider:

1) Back out the port of DERBY-4437 to 10.8 and continue debugging the
issues on the trunk. I am not confident that this will fix DERBY-5422. I
think that bug is triggered by the use of identity columns in NsTest and
the bug appears because identities now use the same preallocation logic
as sequences. It is likely that the bug is also triggered by the use of
sequences, and without more investigation I can't say whether the bug is
even new to 10.8.2.

2) Hope that someone else can pick up DERBY-5422 while I look at DERBY-5430.

3) Wait a couple weeks for the next RC to give me time to fix both of
these bugs.

Thanks,
-Rick