db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: More. Trouble with JVMInfo
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:05:47 GMT
On 9/27/2011 5:21 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> This use-case would be satisfied by having a separate clone of sysinfo
> for each of the jar files: sysinfoEngine, sysinfoClient, sysinfoTools.

I don't think that's a practical solution at this point.  in addition to
support needing  to ask the customer to run 5 commands to understand the
installed derby software, and confusing a lot of Derby users  it breaks
a public API and the very first command we have always told users  to
run with Derby.

I am sure we can find a technical solution that doesn't affect our
users.  For JVMInfo I think it can safely be pulled out of use for
sysinfo and the duplication removed (DERBY-1046). I am willing to work
on that and get past the current issue.  For sysinfo itself, the
separate and multiple copies should be fine.

For the others, e.g. ProductVersionHolder, I wonder if we could have
separate packages as you suggested earlier in this thread, determine
what jar the sysinfo class are using is loaded from ( I seem to recall
this is possible but can't recall the API. I also seem to recall
possible security manager concerns) and then use reflection to invoke
the correct one.  I am not sure if this will all work, but just a thought.

Even if worst case we have to put everything needed for sysinfo  into
the sysinfo class, we need to find a solution that keeps sysinfo and
doesn't turn it into multiple new commands.

Thanks

Kathey