db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: More. Trouble with JVMInfo
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:02:35 GMT
On 9/23/11 7:26 AM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> I don't have Internet connectivity from my computer but hit a serious problem with mixed
jars trying to test 10.8 client      with 10.5 server that I wanted to share as I will likely
be disconnected until Monday.

> If I have 10.8 derbyclient.jar followed by 10.5 derbyrun.jar  in my classpath and try
to make even an embedded connection, I get a NoSuchFieldError for JVMInfo.JAVA_SQL_TYPES_BOOLEAN.

> This field was  required for 10.5 but removed sometime before 10.8.
Hi Kathey,

That field was needed to support JDK 1.3. The field was removed in 10.7
by the work on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4868.

JVMInfo is one of the classes which is included in multiple Derby jar
files: derby.jar, derbyclient.jar, derbytools.jar. References to JVMInfo
will be resolved in a way which depends on the order of your classpath.
Assumptions about the behavior of the shared classes appear to me to be
brittle, poorly tested, and poorly documented.

Regards,
-Rick