db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.8.2.1 release
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:26:51 GMT
On 9/20/11 10:54 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Kathey Marsden
> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> On 9/20/2011 9:27 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>> Testing and analysis is still on-going... Myrna
>> I am working on zseries, IPV6 and upgrade and compatibility testing, but
>> have to admit I am running a bit behind. Hopefully I can make it for Monday,
>> but could certainly use a few more days.
>>
>> I think the nstest issues DERBY-5421, DERBY-5422, DERBY-5423 need to be
>> understood and perhaps fixed before we release.   I wonder if the first two
>> are fallout from DERBY-5423.  The too much contention error worries me. It
>> seems it would be quite common to have a lot of contention on an identity
>> column.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kathey
>>
> I agree on the need to understand the nstest errors.
> I ran those tests with insane jars, and will need to do a setup with
> more settings in derby.properties, and with sane jars to get more
> info, but at least I can say that DERBY-5421 and DERBY-5422 are *not*
> fall out of DERBY-5423:
I have linked DERBY-5423 to DERBY-4437. This error can now appear as a
result of the work done on DERBY-4437. It is possible that the error
will go away if the default preallocation range for sequences/identities
is boosted from 20 values to something bigger like 200. You might try
re-running the test with this property setting:

    derby.language.sequence.preallocator=200

If that does fix the problem, then we may want to consider whether 20 is
too low a default for this setting.

Thanks,
-Rick