db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: making Derby secure by default
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:29:30 GMT
On 9/13/2011 10:57 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> 2c) To ease the migration to 11.0, it might be possible to add a
> single knob which lets an application opt-out of the 11.0 defaults and
> instead run with the 10.x security defaults.

I think a single knob is a good idea but the default should be off to
preserve backward compatibility and the zero admin aspects of the
product at this time.   Warnings and education can be used to coax users
to transition and then maybe after multiple releases with the knob the
default could be changed and the major version changed if there is
enough experience with the super knob to understand all the steps that
have to be taken in addition to turning it on.