db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.8.2.0 release candidate generated...but...
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:23:28 GMT
On 9/13/2011 6:37 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> org.apache.derbyPreBuild.ReleaseProperties. Right now that program
>>> hardcodes
>>> drdamaint to be 0. Here are some ways we can change that program:
>>>
>>> 1) Hardcode drdamaint to be 1.
>>>
>>> 2) Make drdamaint a parameter to the program, like the Derby version
>>> id.
>>>
>>> 3) Make the program retrieve drdamaint from the existing
>>> release.properties
>>> file and write exactly what was read.

Since releases will always be made off a branch, I think option 3 makes
the most sense.  It is always fine I think for it to be 0 on the trunk
as we don't normally track protocol  changes within the development
line  of a major release.

  The release level communicated in the PRDID and used to communicate
the DDM server level and make protocol decisions has two digits for the
version level, two digits for the release level  and a single digit  for
a modify level which corresponds to our drda maintence version.  It can
be bumped when ever protocol fixes need to be backported to a branch
and  can be reset with each new minor (second digit) release

As I recall, the original reason modifyLevel  was not made to correspond
to the third digit  of our version was that way back when Network Server
was created there were only three parts to the version and the third
digit was bumped frequently, so for example we would have versions like
5.1.45. Since there was not enough real estate for the actual third part
of the version  we just added this rarely used DRDA maintenance version
to allow protocol fixes to occur in the branches.

I hope that helps and also hope that I remember it correctly.

Kathey