db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: release candidate generated...but...
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:37:24 GMT
On 9/13/11 6:25 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> On 9/12/11 9:56 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I had to do some tweaking of/around the ant release build target
>>> (about which I will worry tomorrow), but I did manage to get the RC1
>>> for on the public_html site.
>>> However, the automated process set the drdamaint number back to 0, and
>>> I suspect that was wrong.
>> The release properties are written by
>> org.apache.derbyPreBuild.ReleaseProperties. Right now that program hardcodes
>> drdamaint to be 0. Here are some ways we can change that program:
>> 1) Hardcode drdamaint to be 1.
>> 2) Make drdamaint a parameter to the program, like the Derby version id.
>> 3) Make the program retrieve drdamaint from the existing release.properties
>> file and write exactly what was read.
>> The meaning of drdamaint is unclear to me and I don't understand why
>> drdamaint is 0 on the trunk but is supposed to be 1 on the 10.8 branch.
>> What are your thoughts about the meaning of drdamaint and how this program
>> should behave?
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>>   So, before calling the test and vote I'd
>>> like to make sure the fix for DERBY-5236 is still working correctly.
>>> Otherwise I will need to spin a RC2 after looking at the release
>>> target to prevent it from resetting that number.
>>> I'm running tests, but I didn't see any specific test included in the
>>> backport, so, Knut, can you check the release works properly with
>>> regard to your fix?
>>> It can be downloaded from:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~myrnavl/derby-
>>> Thx,
>>> Myrna
> I don't understand the details either or I would've fixed it right
> away - I thought perhaps it worked in combination with the 3rd digit -
> but apparently not. So perhaps the drdamaint version needs to be upped
> on trunk also?
> I would like it best if the release process could be automated enough
> to get the old drdamaint version from the release.properties file. I
> could do that now, we can just put it as an action under DERBY-5287,
> but if you have some ideas on how to achieve it, that would help.
I don't have any clever ideas about how to do this. There is already a
handle on the release properties file used by the execute() method. The
file handle is called target. Should be possible to just open a
java.io.LineNumberReader on that file, loop through the lines looking
for one that starts with "drdamaint=", save that line in a variable, and
just re-emit it in the execute() method where the hardcoded drdamaint is
currently set.

> Myrna

View raw message