db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject Question on unloading in an embedded environment
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:56:43 GMT
I am writing a database copy utility that is built upon the dblook utility and using the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_TABLE
 and SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE procedures and I have this mostly working.  When running
this on a large database (110Gb) I am getting an OutOfMemory exception.  I have the utility
setup to use up to 8192Mb of memory so somewhere there is a problem.  I am running this again
with the -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError switch to see if I can get a picture on where it
is leaking but it will take about 6 hours to get to this point.

In the mean time, assuming the error is not in my utility, I would like to potentially shutdown
the database and restart it to try to work around the OOME.  I am running the database engine
in embedded mode and see the documentation to shutdown the database, but I also see the following
in the Derby 10.8 Reference manual page 293:

"With the embedded driver, if your application shuts down Derby or calls the
DriverManager.unload method, and you then want to reload the driver, call the
Class.forName().newInstance() method to do so:"

When I look at the Javadoc for the DriverManager class, I do not find an "unload" method.
 So what is this documentation referring to?

Thanks

Brett