db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject dist symlinks
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:59:34 GMT
Hi,

We are currently using symlinks to point to current release artifacts.

  o According to [1], this is not recommended. As far as I understand,
using symlinks may cause the links to not work on some mirrors.
  o We are only symlinking some of the release artifacts; bin and src.
The lib and lib-debug artifacts are not symlinked.
  o The symlinks seem to be ignored or filtered out by the official ASF
web server. They are present at [2], but not at [3]. However, they do
appear in the archive at [4].
  o We are not referring the symlinks anywhere on the Derby site.
  o Trying to access them results in

A peek at the logs for August revealed a small amount of hits. Filtering
out bots and crawlers, I end up with 20 potential usages. For some
reason, pointing the browser at the symlinks now result in 403 Forbidden.

The points above suggest to me that we can simply remove them. We might
break a very small number of external links by doing it.
Removing them also means one less thing to do for the release managers.
What do you think?

Regards,
--
Kristian