db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Question on unloading in an embedded environment
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:20:12 GMT
On 8/16/11 5:56 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> I am writing a database copy utility that is built upon the dblook utility and using
the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_TABLE  and SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE procedures and I have
this mostly working.  When running this on a large database (110Gb) I am getting an OutOfMemory
exception.  I have the utility setup to use up to 8192Mb of memory so somewhere there is a
problem.  I am running this again with the -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError switch to see if
I can get a picture on where it is leaking but it will take about 6 hours to get to this point.

> In the mean time, assuming the error is not in my utility, I would like to potentially
shutdown the database and restart it to try to work around the OOME.  I am running the database
engine in embedded mode and see the documentation to shutdown the database, but I also see
the following in the Derby 10.8 Reference manual page 293:

> "With the embedded driver, if your application shuts down Derby or calls the
> DriverManager.unload method, and you then want to reload the driver, call the
> Class.forName().newInstance() method to do so:"
>
> When I look at the Javadoc for the DriverManager class, I do not find an "unload" method.
 So what is this documentation referring to?
Hi Brett,

That looks like an error in the documentation. I believe it is supposed
to refer to DriverManager.deregisterDriver(). I have logged
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5384 to track this.

Thanks for finding this bug,
-Rick