db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <kahat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JVM memory settings for running suites.All
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:35:20 GMT

> On 7/6/2011 8:35 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>
>> I increased that setting to 48M in the nightlies a while back to silence
>> the warning, but it has reappeared in many of them now, so I'll see if
>> 64M works better. The warning appears to be harmless, though. The tests
>> will continue, but possibly slower since the compiler is turned off.
>> This has typically happened during the upgrade testing when I've seen
>> it, probably because we have ~20 versions of every Derby class loaded at
>> the same time.
>>
> I've often wondered about this also in the context of the permgen
> space. If derby is shutdown between testing versions, shouldn't we
> have just two loaded at any one time?

We should, but we just shut down the engine, we don't deregister the
driver in DriverManager, so the classes stay in memory forever. It's a
bit tricky to get the old versions unloaded. Simply calling
DriverManager.deregisterDriver() in the test tear-down won't work, since
it'll only let you deregister drivers in the same class loader as the
caller, and the test framework and the old drivers are loaded in
different class loaders.

--
Knut Anders