db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Sunsetting support for Derby on JVM 1.4
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:40:32 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com> writes:

>> o This also means that Java 5 language features can be used in client code, network
server code, and in the embedded JDBC
>> classes which are not loaded when running at the JSR 169 level.
>
> I think the plan is great!

+1

> I'm sure I'll forget what can be used where, though.
>
> Can we ensure that the build scripts enforce the rules so that we
> have a crutch to help avoid accidental mistakes?

We should only change the compile classpath and source/target level in
the build targets used to compile the classes in which we allow Java 5
features. Then the build script could continue to use
java14compile.classpath and jsr169compile.classpath to build the core
engine. So if those properties are set up properly, the build should
fail if Java 5 features are used where not allowed.

It won't always notice if we use Java 1.4 features that are not in FP,
though, since we don't compile the entire core against
jsr169compile.classpath. But that's no change from the current
situation, see DERBY-3484.

--
Knut Anders