db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Sunsetting support for Derby on JVM 1.4
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 08:23:58 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> No-one on the user list has objected to sunsetting support for JVM
>> 1.4 starting with Derby 10.9. There is still some interest in
>> supporting small devices on CDC/FP 1.1. Sunsetting support for JVM
>> 1.4 would mean that we would stop running regression tests on that
>> platform (starting with Derby 10.9) and we would not spend a lot of
>> effort chasing problems on that platform.
>>
>> Because we would continue supporting CDC/FP 1.1, we would not be
>> able to modernize the bulk of Derby code to take advantage of
>> language features introduced by Java 5. These features include
>> enums, annotations, and generics.
>>
>> I would like to move ahead with sunsetting support for JVM 1.4. I'm
>> happy to call a formal vote to ratify this change if people think
>> that would be useful. What are your thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> I am not sure what it means in open source for such a vote.  If anyone
> wants to run tests and fix issues for JVM 1.4 or any other JVM that
> seems fine to me.  Individual contributors as always can decide which
> features and bugs to work on.  It would be different if we were
> deciding to actively check
> in things to the default Derby set of features that we know would not
> work against JVM 1.4 architecture.
>
> As I understand it nothing is changing.
> The default set of Derby 10.9 is designed to work
> against the JDK 1.4 spec, and allows extensions against more recent
> specs for features designed to be "optional and/or enhanced".

I was hoping that if we agreed on not supporting Java 1.4 anymore, it
would allow us to start using Java 5 features in those areas of the code
that aren't used on Java ME. In particular, I was hoping that it opened
for the following improvements:

- Using Java 5 features in the client driver and the network server.

- Using Java 5 features in the JDBC layer (except in the JSR-169
  classes).

- Simplify the JDBC class hierarchies (example: the wrapper methods in
  EmbedStatement40 and EmbedPreparedStatement40 could be moved to a
  common super-class instead of being duplicated. Similarly, the various
  DataSource implementations could be made JDBC 4.0 compliant without
  the users specifying the "40" suffix in the class names.)

So I'd really like to have a vote, and what we are voting over is
whether we are allowed to use Java 5 features in code that's not meant
to run on Java ME. If the proposal is just to stop testing and caring
for Java 1.4-specific bugs, I agree that no vote is needed, as no one is
forced to run tests or fix bugs in the first place.

--
Knut Anders