db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Question on log directory of a derby database
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:34:25 GMT
I will try to get a copy of the backup database.  It will probably take a while.  I have the
system administrator monitoring the transaction log directory and will call me if it starts
to grow again.  At that point I will use IJ and try to look at the transactions table and
locks table.

On July 6'th a similar thing started happening and examining the transactions table showed
no transactions.  I am going to work on this see what I can find out.

Again, I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions and help.

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Matrigali [mailto:mikem_app@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:16 PM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question on log directory of a derby database

I would suggest you boot the backup database somewhere where you can
let it run and let it finish, and then shut it down cleanly with
shutdown=true. And then boot
it again and see if that fixes the problem.

If you have the ability to run with a debug server we can give you debug
options that will print some interesting stuff to the log that may give
clues about the oldest transaction and checkpoint and maybe tell why so
much log is being kept.
Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to respond Knut.  It is much appreciated.
>
> Some information:
>
> The log files total 64Gb of disk space.  So this clearly went way past the 10Mb of transaction
log.

> So the " And the checkpoint will only delete log files older than the oldest transaction
that's still alive."  That is important I think.   So if there was a stuck transaction somehow
that occurred on July 12, for example, then this could in theory keep the transaction logs
around until last night, correct?

> Unfortunately the system administrator had already shutdown the database engine before
he called me.  It would not boot the database in a reasonable time.  I was looking at the
iostat and it looked like it was doing about 1Mbs and I used truss to take a look at the system
calls and it was processing transaction log files from July 13'th after quite a while (a couple
of hours of trying to boot the database).  I did a quick calculation and it looked like it
would take somewhere around 17 hours to boot the database.

> I looked at the last online backup that the customer had made and again, it had many
thousands of transaction logs in the backup database, so that was not useful either.

> I only had one option.  I knew the system was in a quiet state as there was no applications
accessing the database.  I know this is not recommended but I had no choice but to remove
the old transaction log files and boot the database.  It came up okay and is in operation
okay so I think it will be alright but it could possibly have corruption.  I had to take the
chance however.

> I am going to monitor the system and use the syscs_diag.transaction_table to query the
transactions if I see this happen again.  Just a note however, something similar did happen
a week ago and I looks at the transactions and it showed none even though there were thousands
of transaction log files around.  So a question, does the online backup show up as a transaction
in the syscs_diag.transaction_table?  Also, a week ago, there was no locks as reported by
the syscs_diag.lock_table (at least the snapshot of querying this table that I looked at).

> Again if there is anything that anyone can think of that I should look at if I see this
happen again, please shout out.