db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Question on log directory of a derby database
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:16:45 GMT
Actually this is Derby 10.5.3 that is running in production.

I could really use some help in trying to figure out what triggers Derby not cleanup its DAT
files.  The system is started and running now and as expected the files in the "log" directory
of the database are varying between about 4 and about 12 files.  DAT files are created and
then removed as expected.  The system is currently doing about 50 inserts/second and the DAT
files do not build up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bergquist, Brett [mailto:BBergquist@canoga.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:03 AM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Question on log directory of a derby database

I have a database in production that has been running fine for a few years.  It started out
having about 100K inserts per day into it and now is up to about 4.6M inserts per day and
this has been working fine.

Tonight the customer called because the system was chewing up disk space.  I had the customer
restart the database engine and it is taking a long time to boot the database.   I had the
customer check the "log" directory in the database and there were 62K ".dat" files present.

So I am assuming that these are for transactions that have not committed, correct?  But for
the life of me, I cannot figure out what transaction could have been in progress and not committed
since July 12'th.  It seems to me this would have exhausted memory or some other resource
by now.

One other point, an online database backup is done each night by the customer.  Could this
trigger anything like this?  Tonight when running a utility against the database, the utility
failed to acquire locks, but there should have been nothing else running but this utility
and it is single threaded, so there should have been no lock contention.   It also acts like
there is a database backup that is still on going...

Right now, I am just waiting for the database to cleanup and boot so that I can get in and
examine it.  Is there any shortcut or express way to to boot the database?  Is there any way
to monitor the progress of this boot cleanup?

Any thoughts or pointers in trying to figure out what is going on will be greatly appreciated.

The database in question is Derby 10.5.1

View raw message