db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Code loaded through SQL.INSTALL_JAR does not have access to derby API code. Is this expected?
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:59:37 GMT
So in UpdateLoader.java there is:

    private static final String[] RESTRICTED_PACKAGES = {
        // While loading java. classes is blocked by the standard
        // class loading mechanism, javax. ones are not. However
        // allowing database applications to override jvm classes
        // seems a bad idea.
        "javax.",

        // Allowing an application to possible override the engine's
        // own classes also seems dangerous.
        "org.apache.derby.",
    };

Will this prevent any user functions or procedures such as a table function from accessing
"org.apache.derby.vti.RestrictedVTI"?  This seems to prevent Restricted Table functions from
being loaded jar files stored in the database.

From: Bergquist, Brett
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 12:44 PM
To: Bergquist, Brett; derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Code loaded through SQL.INSTALL_JAR does not have access to derby API code.  Is this
expected?

I found some information.  I found that if I include my JAR file containing my Restricted
Table code in the classpath before starting the network server, then the code can load correctly
and it has access to the "org.apache.derby.vti.RestrictedVTI" class and others.  If however
the code is loaded through the SQLJ.INSTALL_JAR procedure, then the code does not have access
to the "org.apache.derby.vti.RestrticedVTI" class or others.

Is this expected?  I really would like to be able to install my table function code to be
in the database and not have to manipulate the classpath.  No where in the documentation does
it say that this cannot be done, but it does not work.

Should I write up an issue in JIRA?