db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lilyweide...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for JVM 1.4
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:53:34 GMT
I am sorry if I was not totally follow all the discussion. If we sunsetting support for 1.4,
will we have a big porting effort to take out all the 1.4 code in derby? What is the schedule
of that effort look like? For customers who is currently using 1.4, what do they need to do
to upgrade their derby system? Will all the necessary changes be in Derby documentation?

Sorry for so many related question,
Lily

On Jul 5, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Kim Haase <camilla.haase@oracle.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Kim
>
> On 07/05/11 09:05 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms. The polls close
at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Tuesday July 19.
>> o The 10.8 family of releases will be the last family supporting JVM 1.4.
>> o Starting with 10.9, Derby will no longer support JVM 1.4.
>> o This means that 10.9 will not be tested on JVM 1.4.
>> o This also means that Java 5 language features can be used in client code, network
server code, and in the embedded JDBC classes which are not loaded when running at the JSR
169 level.
>> o Release notes for the 10.9 family will claim that we support the following JDBC
levels on the following platforms: