db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question on log directory of a derby database
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:58:32 GMT
Do you change the size of the Derby buffer cache?  One problem Derby can
have at these performance levels is that the checkpoint has to compete
with I/O from the regular transactions as your load increases this just
becomes more and more of a problem.

62k files does seem crazy, and I have seen OS problems in the past
with performance just dealing with large number of files in a directory.
It may help to get some key stats about your performance level.  For
log it would be useful to know bytes/second that your application is
generating.  Hopefully you can just look at times on the log files and
get a quick estimate.

I don't have enough information but 4.2 million inserts a day seems
aggressive and may need some hardware tuning to get Derby to handle it
well.  You should look at how much you are logging per second and
compare that with expected I/O on your log device.  Derby does not
have many tools to help with I/O performance, it mostly counts on
the OS to provide those.  So to get write performance it may help
to stripe the disk by the OS.  Derby does allow you to split Data I/O
and log I/O across multiple disks.

Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> Good idea on the backup strategy!
>
> The one problem that I have is that I have no access to the customer's system and it
is pretty much running hands off.  I do have to say that we have been using Derby for about
5 years and have never had a problem up until these last couple of weeks.  So when it is working
correctly, nobody is watching ;)
> Nothing in the production environment has changed other than the volume of data.
>
> One of the main functions is to collect network performance test results.  Our equipment
generates network performance tests continuously and over the last two months have seen growth
from about 1.3M/day to 4.6M/day.

> I am going to make an improvement in the Method Of Procedure used for the backup strategy
to incorporate the consistency checking and boot verification.

July 12'th and the newest ones were July 18'th.  I had the sysAdmin copy some of these aside
so I can get a sample of every couple of days.

>> Will the utility that you mention look at specific transaction log files?  I think
I saw the utility mentioned in a JIRA when I was searching last night so I can probably find
it myself.

transaction that's still alive."  That is important I think.   So if there was a stuck transaction
somehow that occurred on July 12, for example, then this could in theory keep the transaction
logs around until last night, correct?

>>> Unfortunately the system administrator had already shutdown the database engine
before he called me.  It would not boot the database in a reasonable time.  I was looking
at the iostat and it looked like it was doing about 1Mbs and I used truss to take a look at
the system calls and it was processing transaction log files from July 13'th after quite a
while (a couple of hours of trying to boot the database).  I did a quick calculation and it
looked like it would take somewhere around 17 hours to boot the database.

>>> I looked at the last online backup that the customer had made and again, it had
many thousands of transaction logs in the backup database, so that was not useful either.

>>> I only had one option.  I knew the system was in a quiet state as there was no
applications accessing the database.  I know this is not recommended but I had no choice but
to remove the old transaction log files and boot the database.  It came up okay and is in
operation okay so I think it will be alright but it could possibly have corruption.  I had
to take the chance however.

>>> I am going to monitor the system and use the syscs_diag.transaction_table to
query the transactions if I see this happen again.  Just a note however, something similar
did happen a week ago and I looks at the transactions and it showed none even though there
were thousands of transaction log files around.  So a question, does the online backup show
up as a transaction in the syscs_diag.transaction_table?  Also, a week ago, there was no locks
as reported by the syscs_diag.lock_table (at least the snapshot of querying this table that
I looked at).

>>> Again if there is anything that anyone can think of that I should look at if
I see this happen again, please shout out.