db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question on log directory of a derby database
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:31:19 GMT
I believe the consistency checker is going to lock each table for the
duration of the checking.  The time it takes is dependent on size of
table.

When possible post a directory listing of the files in log directory
with the following if possible:  size of each file, date modified, and
name of file.  On unix tools this is just a "ls -l".  Doing this for
the backup would help also.

I do suggest you look at your backup strategy.  We suggest that all
backups should be verified after taking them.  So at least they should
be booted after making them to verify they have no errors.  Also useful
is to run the consistency checker on them.  This can be done on a
different machine if necessary, Derby databases are portable across
devices/machines.

Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> I did get a sampling of the transaction logs over the days.   The oldest ones were July
12'th and the newest ones were July 18'th.  I had the sysAdmin copy some of these aside so
I can get a sample of every couple of days.

> Will the utility that you mention look at specific transaction log files?  I think I
saw the utility mentioned in a JIRA when I was searching last night so I can probably find
it myself.

that's still alive."  That is important I think.   So if there was a stuck transaction somehow
that occurred on July 12, for example, then this could in theory keep the transaction logs
around until last night, correct?

>> Unfortunately the system administrator had already shutdown the database engine before
he called me.  It would not boot the database in a reasonable time.  I was looking at the
iostat and it looked like it was doing about 1Mbs and I used truss to take a look at the system
calls and it was processing transaction log files from July 13'th after quite a while (a couple
of hours of trying to boot the database).  I did a quick calculation and it looked like it
would take somewhere around 17 hours to boot the database.

>> I looked at the last online backup that the customer had made and again, it had many
thousands of transaction logs in the backup database, so that was not useful either.

>> I only had one option.  I knew the system was in a quiet state as there was no applications
accessing the database.  I know this is not recommended but I had no choice but to remove
the old transaction log files and boot the database.  It came up okay and is in operation
okay so I think it will be alright but it could possibly have corruption.  I had to take the
chance however.

>> I am going to monitor the system and use the syscs_diag.transaction_table to query
the transactions if I see this happen again.  Just a note however, something similar did happen
a week ago and I looks at the transactions and it showed none even though there were thousands
of transaction log files around.  So a question, does the online backup show up as a transaction
in the syscs_diag.transaction_table?  Also, a week ago, there was no locks as reported by
the syscs_diag.lock_table (at least the snapshot of querying this table that I looked at).

>> Again if there is anything that anyone can think of that I should look at if I see
this happen again, please shout out.