db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question on log directory of a derby database
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:09:56 GMT
It is likely the database is corrupt now that you booted without letting
recovery do its job.  Just because there are no applications accessing
the db it does not mean it is safe to delete the log files.  Derby
maintains an in memory cache of data that along with info in the
recovery log files works to produce a consistent database.  The only
time all the data is consistent is after shutting down cleanly with
"shutdown=true" giving the system a chance to write out all it's dirty
cached data (basically it does a checkpoint before shutting down).

You should at least run the consistency checker across all tables to
catch obvious corruptions, but even if this passes there may still be
problems with
the database.

Did you happen to keep a copy of the problem db with its log files
before corrupting it by
deleting it's log files?  There have been some tools posted to JIRA that
can allow looking at what is going on in the log files.  If not did you
keep a listing of the files.
It would be interesting to at least see the names and sizes of the files
in the log directory.

Do you know if the customer uses 2 phase commit at all?  This is a
really easy way to keep a very old transaction in the log file.  These
can stay around after clients crash or exit if not properly committed or
aborted.

Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to respond Knut.  It is much appreciated.
>
> Some information:
>
> The log files total 64Gb of disk space.  So this clearly went way past the 10Mb of transaction
log.

> So the " And the checkpoint will only delete log files older than the oldest transaction
that's still alive."  That is important I think.   So if there was a stuck transaction somehow
that occurred on July 12, for example, then this could in theory keep the transaction logs
around until last night, correct?

> Unfortunately the system administrator had already shutdown the database engine before
he called me.  It would not boot the database in a reasonable time.  I was looking at the
iostat and it looked like it was doing about 1Mbs and I used truss to take a look at the system
calls and it was processing transaction log files from July 13'th after quite a while (a couple
of hours of trying to boot the database).  I did a quick calculation and it looked like it
would take somewhere around 17 hours to boot the database.

> I looked at the last online backup that the customer had made and again, it had many
thousands of transaction logs in the backup database, so that was not useful either.

> I only had one option.  I knew the system was in a quiet state as there was no applications
accessing the database.  I know this is not recommended but I had no choice but to remove
the old transaction log files and boot the database.  It came up okay and is in operation
okay so I think it will be alright but it could possibly have corruption.  I had to take the
chance however.

> I am going to monitor the system and use the syscs_diag.transaction_table to query the
transactions if I see this happen again.  Just a note however, something similar did happen
a week ago and I looks at the transactions and it showed none even though there were thousands
of transaction log files around.  So a question, does the online backup show up as a transaction
in the syscs_diag.transaction_table?  Also, a week ago, there was no locks as reported by
the syscs_diag.lock_table (at least the snapshot of querying this table that I looked at).

> Again if there is anything that anyone can think of that I should look at if I see this
happen again, please shout out.