db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for JVM 1.4
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 17:17:01 GMT
On 7/5/2011 8:53 AM, Lily Wei wrote:
> I am sorry if I was not totally follow all the discussion. If we sunsetting support for
1.4, will we have a big porting effort to take out all the 1.4 code in derby?
As I understand it, for trunk it will just mean that the additional
syntax and constructs available in 1.5, which are a superset of 1.4,
will be available to the code areas Rick mentioned.  So, there will not
be any change to make the existing code continue to work, but developers
will be able to simplify existing code or use the new constructs if they

  The porting concern that I see would be with backporting fixes to
release branches.  It is likely to be less automatic and require more
thought, but I think it is best  to move forward sooner rather than
later as later we will only have more branches to support with the
caveat that I think we should hold off on any major refactoring until
after 10.8.2.

>   What is the schedule of that effort look like? For customers who is currently using
1.4, what do they need to do to upgrade their derby system?
Customers running on java 1.4 should upgrade to java if they want to
move to Derby 10.9,  and hopefully won't see any backward compatibility
issues with the jvm wrt to Derby.  I think it is a reasonable
expectation and we are giving reasonable notice that we will no longer
support 1.4.
>   Will all the necessary changes be in Derby documentation?
There should be a corresponding documentation issue for 10.9 to remove
mention of 1.4 support from the documentation.

View raw message