db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Sunsetting support for Derby on JVM 1.4
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:58:14 GMT
On 7/1/2011 6:28 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> I wouldn't think this rules out running the client on small devices in
> the future, since small devices in the future (maybe even now) will
> hopefully support less constrained environments than CDC FP 1.1.
>
> If it turns out Java 1.4 indeed is the future on small devices, I'd be
> somewhat disappointed... ;)

Yes I think all agree 1.4 is out of the picture everywhere and I agree
small devices are getting bigger.

One other thing that we might want to consider as a development
community  and  something that we havealways been pretty good about, is
that we try to keep refactoring and syntax changes separate from
behavior changes to facilitate ease of review of patches, backporting
and tracking down regressions.  I wonder if it makes sense to defer any
heavy duty reorganization until after 10.8.2 so it doesn't interfere
with backporting efforts for the fall release.

Thanks

Kathey