db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Sunsetting support for Derby on JVM 1.4
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:45:52 GMT
On 6/30/11 1:17 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> No-one on the user list has objected to sunsetting support for JVM
>> 1.4 starting with Derby 10.9. There is still some interest in
>> supporting small devices on CDC/FP 1.1. Sunsetting support for JVM
>> 1.4 would mean that we would stop running regression tests on that
>> platform (starting with Derby 10.9) and we would not spend a lot of
>> effort chasing problems on that platform.
>>
>> Because we would continue supporting CDC/FP 1.1, we would not be able
>> to modernize the bulk of Derby code to take advantage of language
>> features introduced by Java 5. These features include enums,
>> annotations, and generics.
>>
>> I would like to move ahead with sunsetting support for JVM 1.4. I'm
>> happy to call a formal vote to ratify this change if people think
>> that would be useful. What are your thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> I am not sure what it means in open source for such a vote.  If anyone
> wants to run tests and fix issues for JVM 1.4 or any other JVM that
> seems fine to me.  Individual contributors as always can decide which
> features and bugs to work on.  It would be different if we were
> deciding to actively check
> in things to the default Derby set of features that we know would not
> work against JVM 1.4 architecture.
>
> As I understand it nothing is changing.
> The default set of Derby 10.9 is designed to work
> against the JDK 1.4 spec, and allows extensions against more recent
> specs for features designed to be "optional and/or enhanced".
Hi Mike,

Our release notes claim that Derby runs on a spectrum of platforms,
backed up by an audit trail of release testing results. See for
instance:
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.8.1.2.cgi#Overview and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenEightOnePlatformTesting. Since we are
proposing to stop testing on JVM 1.4, there will be no audit trail for a
claim that Derby runs on that platform. In 10.9 we will drop the claim
that we run there. That is a customer-visible change which the community
might want to vote on.

Thanks,
-Rick