db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Andersen - Oracle <Lance.Ander...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sunsetting support for JVM 1.4
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:10:50 GMT
+1
On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> +1
>
> On 7/5/11 6:05 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms. The polls close
at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Tuesday July 19.

>> o The 10.8 family of releases will be the last family supporting JVM 1.4.
>>
>> o Starting with 10.9, Derby will no longer support JVM 1.4.
>>
>> o This means that 10.9 will not be tested on JVM 1.4.
>>
>> o This also means that Java 5 language features can be used in client code, network
server code, and in the embedded JDBC classes which are not loaded when running at the JSR
169 level.

>> o Release notes for the 10.9 family will claim that we support the following JDBC
levels on the following platforms:

>>   - JSR 169 on CDC/FP 1.1
>>   - JDBC 3.0 on Java 5
>>   - JDBC 4.1 on Java 6 and Java 7

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
Lance.Andersen@oracle.com