db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Fwd: contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:55:53 GMT
Hi everyone,

We got this message on the ASF community mailing list and I was wondering if
any of the Derby veterans were planning on contributing a chapter about
Derby to this book.

I love writing :-) I guess that's part of the reason I embarked in a
doctoral degree. For this reason, I was thinking that if no one else is
planning on doing so, would the community be ok if I go ahead with it? I'd
bring the draft versions to the mailing list before a final submission, to
get feedback from a) English natives and b) people who have far more
experience with Derby than me.

I just thought it'd be a nice thing to bring Derby some publicity, and the
profits from the book (should people choose to buy it - since it's actually
open-source) go to Amnesty International, which I find a noble cause.

What do you think?

Regards,
Tiago

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Wilson <gvwilson@third-bit.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Subject: contributing to "The Architecture of Open Source Applications"
To: dev@community.apache.org

Hello,

We just released a book titled "The Architecture of Open Source
Applications", the content of which is also available online under a
Creative Commons license at http://aosabook.org. The project's
over-arching aim is to show people how complex applications are
designed, and why they are designed that way; as we say in the
introduction, we want people to explain what the major components of
their applications, how they work together (or don't), and most
importantly, why that design was chosen, and what has been learned along
the way.

We are now gearing up to do a second volume, and are looking for
contributions that reflect and encourage diverse participation in open
source software development. If you might be willing to write a
chapter-length description of a medium-to-large open source application
that you have worked on, or if you know someone who might want to do so,
please get in touch with us at aosa@aosabook.org. Please note that all
royalties from sales will be donated directly to Amnesty International,
so you'll be helping a couple of good causes at once.

Thanks for your time --- we look forward to hearing from you.
Greg Wilson (http://third-bit.com)