db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Sunsetting support for Derby on JVM 1.4
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:39:46 GMT
No-one on the user list has objected to sunsetting support for JVM 1.4
starting with Derby 10.9. There is still some interest in supporting
small devices on CDC/FP 1.1. Sunsetting support for JVM 1.4 would mean
that we would stop running regression tests on that platform (starting
with Derby 10.9) and we would not spend a lot of effort chasing problems
on that platform.

Because we would continue supporting CDC/FP 1.1, we would not be able to
modernize the bulk of Derby code to take advantage of language features
introduced by Java 5. These features include enums, annotations, and
generics.

I would like to move ahead with sunsetting support for JVM 1.4. I'm
happy to call a formal vote to ratify this change if people think that
would be useful. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick