db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: meaning of the two unreleased 10.8.1 versions
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:58:26 GMT
I believe after a discussion on the list it was agreed that any
committer could "bump" the version number in the branch for their
own reasons.  The expectation was that  the number of versions
would be reasonable and we would revisit if it seemed it was being
abused.

So far I think the only bumps have been associated with bug fixes
in the branch where the bump was necessary to force the soft upgrade
mechanism to fix some problem in compiled saved plans.  Open source
users of Derby are allowed to take and build the branch code and make
their own releases.  In this case those users may have a version
of 10.8.1.3 to report a bug against, though it would be more useful
in almost all cases if the bug were reported against the most recent
official release and only reported against 10.8.1.3 if a regression was
introduced into the branch after the release.

I think it less likely that
users would need to report a bug fixed against 10.8.1.3.