db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Does derby.drda.startNetworkServer=true actually work?
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:04:28 GMT
On 6/13/2011 5:55 AM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Ouch, I didn't know we also needed that JAR for Derby to work in
> client/server! I usually just have them all in the classpath but now I
> just had derby.jar.

Also, from a practical perspective, ten seconds doesn't leave much time
for a client to connect and do anything.  When playing with this I will
often use something like:
               System.out.println("Press [enter] to exit program");
               System.in.read();

To give some time to connect.  For a test obviously something less
interactive would be needed, but usually a straight timed amount is not
the best as that can cause instability on different machines, in slow
jvm modes etc.