db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: JVM 1.4 and CDC/FP 1.1 usage
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 10:13:08 GMT
Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> writes:

> Before asking the user community about these platforms, I would like
> developer feedback: Do we think anyone is still using Derby on JDK
> 1.4?

The only data point I have is the incoming bug reports in JIRA. It's a
very long time since I saw a report where Java 1.4 was mentioned, apart
from the reports about failures in the nightly regression testing when
running on 1.4.

Perhaps a more interesting variant of the question is: Do we think
anyone will use a recent Derby version on Java 1.4? My guess is that
those who haven't moved to a later Java version are probably using an
older release of Derby too.

> We have put a fair amount of effort into keeping our tests
> evergreen on CDC/FP 1.1. I take it that platform is still being used?

I don't know. There have been two questions on derby-user the last year
about running Derby on mobile phones, and the answer in both those cases
has been "no, you'll need CDC for that."

Knut Anders

View raw message