db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM 1.4 and CDC/FP 1.1 usage
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 23:32:38 GMT
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen
<knut.hatlen@oracle.com> wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> Before asking the user community about these platforms, I would like
>> developer feedback: Do we think anyone is still using Derby on JDK
>> 1.4?
>
> The only data point I have is the incoming bug reports in JIRA. It's a
> very long time since I saw a report where Java 1.4 was mentioned, apart
> from the reports about failures in the nightly regression testing when
> running on 1.4.
>
> Perhaps a more interesting variant of the question is: Do we think
> anyone will use a recent Derby version on Java 1.4? My guess is that
> those who haven't moved to a later Java version are probably using an
> older release of Derby too.
>
>> We have put a fair amount of effort into keeping our tests
>> evergreen on CDC/FP 1.1. I take it that platform is still being used?
>
> I don't know. There have been two questions on derby-user the last year
> about running Derby on mobile phones, and the answer in both those cases
> has been "no, you'll need CDC for that."
>
> --
> Knut Anders

Hi,

Personally, I don't think many people will use 1.4 & 10.9 (I assume
that's what we're talking about).

Re CDC - It seemed interesting a number of years ago, now?
On the one hand, it would be nice if we could wholehartedly go for 1.5
& further. On the other hand, CDC support is nice to have in theory...

I guess it depends on if anyone's using it. I seems to me the people I
had interested in it seem to have lost interest in the combination
CDC/Derby...

I wonder where the project is going in the first place, does anyone know?

I do worry that if we drop (raise to 1.5?) the 1.4 threshold, the CDC
support immediately falls down too...

Myrna