db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: draft of message to derby-user concerning the future of the Eclipse plugins
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 04:57:21 GMT
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Lily Wei <lilyweiderby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rick:
>     Will it be good to estimate the time it might need to build the plugin and host
them somewhere else?

> Thanks,
> Lily
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 24, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Kim Haase <camilla.haase@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks fine to me too. You might want to put a question mark at the end of the
second question.

>> Kim
>>
>> On 05/24/11 12:16 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> Here's a first draft of a message to derby-user about the future of the Eclipse
plugins. Please let me know how I can improve this.
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> Dear Eclipse users,
>>> For the past six years, Derby releases have included two Eclipse plugins: a core
plugin and a ui/doc plugin. The Derby developers have come to the conclusion that these plugin
artifacts fall outside the scope of our charter, which explictly excludes IDE and GUI work:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Database+Technology For future releases, we
would like to get out of the business of producing these plugins. We plan to build them for
one more maintenance release, 10.8.2: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenEightTwoRelease
After that, we need to find some other way to support people who develop Derby-powered applications
with Eclipse.
>>> We have two immediate questions for Eclipse users:
>>> 1) Does anyone use these plugins anymore?
>>> 2) Would someone in the user community be willing to build these plugins for
each Derby release and host them someplace else, perhaps at http://marketplace.eclipse.org/

It's not building the plugins that's time consuming, but you have to
get all setup.

To produce the core plug-in, you have to run ant plugin.
It runs buildjars, so you need to build derby first, so you need to
set up jdk 142, 15, 16, junit...It takes about only a couple of
seconds longer than it takes to build the jars.

To produce the ui/doc plugins you need eclipse, you need to set it up
with a 1.5 jvm, and you need to follow the instructions. These were
originally written for version 3.0 of eclipse. They're now on 3.6 or
so and there's a number of packages, not all of them support the
plugin creation. I've tried to keep the instructions up to date as I
was running into things, but it's one of those things where what seems
obvious one time isn't so obvious next time you click through a bunch
of options, and they change the lay-out of the options from one
version to the next. It's taken me anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours
to get it right.(more recently it's been shorter).

I would suggest leaving this out, I think it's too much detail for a
first email. (interested people can look for this email in the
archives anyway).

Myrna