db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lilyweide...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: draft of message to derby-user concerning the future of the Eclipse plugins
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 04:31:10 GMT
Hi Rick:
     Will it be good to estimate the time it might need to build the plugin and host them
somewhere else?

Thanks,
Lily

Sent from my iPad

On May 24, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Kim Haase <camilla.haase@oracle.com> wrote:

> It looks fine to me too. You might want to put a question mark at the end of the second
question.

> Kim
>
> On 05/24/11 12:16 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Here's a first draft of a message to derby-user about the future of the Eclipse plugins.
Please let me know how I can improve this.
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>> ---------------------------------
>> Dear Eclipse users,
>> For the past six years, Derby releases have included two Eclipse plugins: a core
plugin and a ui/doc plugin. The Derby developers have come to the conclusion that these plugin
artifacts fall outside the scope of our charter, which explictly excludes IDE and GUI work:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Database+Technology For future releases, we
would like to get out of the business of producing these plugins. We plan to build them for
one more maintenance release, 10.8.2: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenEightTwoRelease
After that, we need to find some other way to support people who develop Derby-powered applications
with Eclipse.
Derby release and host them someplace else, perhaps at http://marketplace.eclipse.org/