db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: JVM 1.4 and CDC/FP 1.1 usage
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 14:20:50 GMT
Thanks for the quick responses, Knut and Myrna. Some more thoughts inline...

On 5/26/11 4:32 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen
> <knut.hatlen@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Before asking the user community about these platforms, I would like
>>> developer feedback: Do we think anyone is still using Derby on JDK
>>> 1.4?
>> The only data point I have is the incoming bug reports in JIRA. It's a
>> very long time since I saw a report where Java 1.4 was mentioned, apart
>> from the reports about failures in the nightly regression testing when
>> running on 1.4.
I found 29 issues when I searched our JIRAs for CDC in the summary,
description, and environment fields. They were mostly testing issues.
However, one issue (DERBY-4366) was logged by a real user who was trying
to run Derby on a small device.
>> Perhaps a more interesting variant of the question is: Do we think
>> anyone will use a recent Derby version on Java 1.4? My guess is that
>> those who haven't moved to a later Java version are probably using an
>> older release of Derby too.
>>
>>> We have put a fair amount of effort into keeping our tests
>>> evergreen on CDC/FP 1.1. I take it that platform is still being used?
>> I don't know. There have been two questions on derby-user the last year
>> about running Derby on mobile phones, and the answer in both those cases
>> has been "no, you'll need CDC for that."
>>
>> --
>> Knut Anders
>>
> Hi,
>
> Personally, I don't think many people will use 1.4&  10.9 (I assume
> that's what we're talking about).
>
> Re CDC - It seemed interesting a number of years ago, now?
> On the one hand, it would be nice if we could wholehartedly go for 1.5
> &  further. On the other hand, CDC support is nice to have in theory...
>
> I guess it depends on if anyone's using it. I seems to me the people I
> had interested in it seem to have lost interest in the combination
> CDC/Derby...
>
> I wonder where the project is going in the first place, does anyone know?
I think you are asking about the future of Java ME? It is very much
alive: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javame/index.html

My sense is that Derby is a bit big for most CDC devices, but Derby
might prosper on a set-top box. Don't know if anyone is using Derby in
that environment.
> I do worry that if we drop (raise to 1.5?) the 1.4 threshold, the CDC
> support immediately falls down too...
I think that we could separate the two issues. Users would still be able
to run Derby on the 1.4 VM as a consequence of our continuing to support
CDC/FP 1.1. However, we could say that we don't support Derby 10.9 or
later on 1.4. That would mean that users would need to upgrade to Java 5
or later if they wanted us to look at their 10.9 bugs. And we would stop
running test cycles on 1.4.

Thanks,
-Rick