db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse plugins
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 17:39:46 GMT
Thanks for continuing the conversation, Myrna and Kathey. Some comments
inline...

On 5/11/11 2:43 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> But I agree with Kathey, the first step should be to announce on
> derby-user list that we intend to stop hosting the plugin(s) after
> 10.8, suggesting that perhaps one of the users of the plugins is
> interested in hosting it themselves.
Since you have volunteered to manage the 10.8.2 release, would you be
willing to commit to providing the Eclipse plugins for that release?
That will help frame the user discussion about when the plugins will
disappear and when we need a volunteer from the Eclipse community.

Without identified release managers, I don't feel we can promise the
user community that the plugins will be provided in other releases from
any of our branches.

I would be happy to draft a message to the user community, first posting
that message to this list for review. Once that message goes to
derby-user, I will need your support, particularly if the discussion
veers toward questions which can only be answered by Eclipse-literate
developers.

> Then, somewhat depending on the response we get, I think we should aim
> to actually remove the plugin code from trunk (It will still be there
> on the branches where we provided the plugins).
This sounds like a good, incremental approach to me.

Thanks,
-Rick