db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Costello <edward.coste...@orionhealth.com>
Subject Re: Allowing Derby Network Server when Embedded Driver is not registered with Driver Manager
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 03:56:18 GMT
Thanks a lot for the reply, I had assumed that the indirection through
DriverManager was deliberate so left it as is.

I've now raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5239 with a
patch that simply replaces these usages with direct usage of the
embedded driver.

Cheers
Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Cc: Ed Costello <edward.costello@orionhealth.com>
Subject: Re: Allowing Derby Network Server when Embedded Driver is not
registered with Driver Manager
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:03:40 -0700

On 5/17/2011 6:48 PM, Ed Costello wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using the Derby Embedded driver in an environment where it
> is unsafe to have the JDBC drivers registered with
> java.sql.DriverManager (reasons are later in this email). I'm trying
> to use the Network Server to make these embedded databases available
> to other processes for inspection.

Hi Ed,

I only skimmed at your patch but if I understand it correctly the actual
way you are accessing the Embedded driver are not revealed in the patch
but is implemented via the plugin point you mentioned.   I think in
general use DriverManager has been  problematic for users and within
Derby and now here is another case. So I think that it might be a better
general approach to file a Jira to remove DriverManager usage from
Network Server to avoid the OSGI conflicts you mention and then just
remove its usage from Network Server all together.  I think it is a good
idea to remove all internal DriverManager references if possible.  I am
not sure how many there are left after DERBY-4664.  This may be the last
one.

Kathey