db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Case insensitivity
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 07:49:50 GMT
Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldridge@gmail.com> writes:

> As far as I can tell, the format of the persisted data in unaffected
> by the collation. The collation is only applied when interpreting the
> persisted data, not to transform it for persistence.
>
> Is this correct? If so, any there any reason Derby should not to allow
> overriding the collation of the DB when connecting with a URL
> specifying a collation?

Hi Brett,

Having the possibility to change the collation sounds like useful
functionality. As far as I know, it's true that the format of the data
doesn't need to change when the collation is changed. However, all the
indexes that contain CHAR/VARCHAR columns must be recreated because the
ordering of those columns change if the collation changes. This may take
quite some time on a large database, but it should be doable.

--
Knut Anders