db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: 10.8.1 testing
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:22:07 GMT
Ok, I will try this myself tomorrow.

Off the top of my head, if I recall correctly, before the UTF8 CCSID,
conversions were being done byte by byte as each character was always
guaranteed to be 1 byte at the most. If memory serves well, this was
actually just a cast into char, which I would expect to be fairly
inexpensive in terms of CPU.

With the UTF8 CCSID, we rely on the getBytes() (again, off the top of my
head) to actually convert Strings to and from UTF8. I'm guessing this has
the potential to cause some slowdown. If that's the case though, then the
scenario is even darker as it will in fact affect both client AND server.

Tiago