db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <krist...@apache.org>
Subject Re: junit failures
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:35:51 GMT
On 19.04.11 23:51, Dave Brosius wrote:
> On 04/19/2011 02:39 PM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> On 4/19/2011 8:37 AM, Lily Wei wrote:
>>> Hi David:
>>>     I tried with an empty directory for the same test with your fix.
>>> It also failed for me with the patch.
>>>
>> So it sounds specifically related to the patch.  I wonder if at
>> whatever point these objects are supposed to be dropped, there are
>> open result sets so it doesn't actually get dropped. Is there
>> anything in the derby.log about maybe not being able to drop the
>> Phase table because of open result sets?
>>

> Only thing of interest is this, nothing related to the Phase table:
>
> Sun Apr 17 04:57:15 EST 2011 : Execution failed because of Permanent
> Agent Error: SVRCOD = 40; RDBNAM = srvdscreateshutdowndb1;create=true;
> diagnostic msg = ASSERT FAILED pbsd is not expected to be null
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAProtocolException: Execution failed
> because of Permanent Agent Error: SVRCOD = 40; RDBNAM =
> srvdscreateshutdowndb1;create=true; diagnostic msg = ASSERT FAILED
> pbsd is not expected to be null
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAProtocolException.newAgentError(DRDAProtocolException.java:339)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.sendUnexpectedException(DRDAConnThread.java:8378)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.handleException(DRDAConnThread.java:8329)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.run(DRDAConnThread.java:319)
> Sun Apr 17 04:57:15 EST 2011 : ASSERT FAILED pbsd is not expected to
> be null
> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.AssertFailure: ASSERT FAILED
> pbsd is not expected to be null
>     at
> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.SanityManager.ASSERT(SanityManager.java:120)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.writePBSD(DRDAConnThread.java:2726)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.processCommands(DRDAConnThread.java:1044)
>     at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.run(DRDAConnThread.java:294)

Looking at the stack trace, the assert is related to the piggy-backing
of session state data. This was added as DERBY-3192, and I also made
minor some changes as part of DERBY-3596.
I haven't looked at your patch, so I have no idea what causes the assert
to trigger. Things start looking at may be whether protocol flows have
been changed, or if a deferred reset is taking place.
Out of curiosity, do all the tests pass when you run with an insane
build? [*]

Regards,
--
Kristian

* Even if they pass, a performance regression for the client driver may
have been introduced (typically one extra round-trip to get the session
data).