db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: I want to contribute
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:48:42 GMT
On 4/8/2011 7:31 AM, akshay khatri wrote:

>         On the otherhand, I am following the gsoc related discussion
>         on this group for some time. So is there any estimate of how
>         many people have applied for Derby this year and how many
>         slots is derby expected to get ?
>
> Can I know the answer to this question. Probably its too late but
> still it would be cool if someone can share the stats.

I see only two applications for the Derby Test and Fix project have been
submitted, both of which have been discussed on the list.  So far Tiago
is the only person that has committed as mentor but it is always
possible we might get another last minute volunteer.  I can't say how
many slots Derby will get as there are quite a few variables.   There is
at least the requirement that each proposal accepted have a mentor
volunteer to accept it and then from there proposals are ranked
according to criteria outlined at
http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html.  Google decides
how many slots as a whole Apache will get and then according to the
ranking there is a line drawn.  There is a complication that the tool
has changed this year, but I am sure that while the exact methods
described may change, the criteria will be the same for ranking.

Welcome to the community. I hope you stay and participate even if you
don't make the GSoC submission deadline.  We have had quite a few
students that didn't make it into the program the first year they
applied but stayed involved and were successful GSoC students in
subsequent years.

Thanks

Kathey