db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [GSOC IDEA] Derby Test and Fix
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:36:54 GMT
On 4/7/2011 10:58 AM, Houx Zhang wrote:
> Hi, all. I would like to apply for this GSOC on Derby and hope to get
> your advice on my proposal. Thanks!

Thank you Houx for sending the proposal.  I have not looked at it
closely but we are close to the deadline so I will throw a few things
out there. The most important thing is to get it submitted before the
deadline.

1) Make sure you mention how many hours per week this summer you plan to
work on Derby and if you have any other plans, travel commitments etc.
2) Include a section on your experience, not a complete resume but a
short summary what languages you have programmed in, relevant coursework
especially in database and Java  and any programming projects you are
particularly proud of.
3) Include basic contact information and the name of your university and
whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student.
4) Make sure you talk to Tiago about having an IRC interview if you have
not already.

The ranking process is outlined at:
http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html

Unfortunately the melange tool is different this year so it will have to
be adjusted slightly but these are the things that will be scored, so
you want to make sure that everything there is covered.  In the past
around the cutoff line just a point or two makes a difference.

HTH and good Luck!

Kathey